- Select a new roof contractor with trained installers and a history of successful roof installations.
- Replace roof during economic downturns or during the “off-season.” During these times, roofers often offer discount prices to keep employees working.
- Select quality materials for the re-roofing operation. Inexpensive materials might cost less in the short term. But they will also have a shorter roof life, and you’ll wind up paying for another repair sooner than you’d like.
- Reuse roof flashing and metal work in good condition. Not all the old roofing materials need replacement. Ask the installer if reuse roofing materials if possible.
- Look for roofing materials that are proven to withstand hail storms.
- Choose materials rated for the wind speed in your area.
- Use an experienced contractor — proper new roof installation ensures the roof will withstand high winds.
Researching Roofing types? American Roofing Industries has a great article explaining roofing types. Here are a few listed here, feel free to check out their website for more roofing types.
Roofing: TPO Membrane :
Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) membranes are one of the most popular commercial roofing systems. These single ply membranes are created by using a reinforced fabric and rubber together. The sheets are heat welded together creating one continuous sheet that covers your roof. Since this product is lightweight, TPO can be used as a recover option. There is no aggregate surfacing on this product, so maintenance is easy. This product has a great reflectivity value and is considered a green roofing option.
Roofing Modified Bitumen:
Modified Bitumen was developed to increase the serviceability of conventional roofing asphalt. It is created blending synthetic rubberized polymers with asphalt. This new blend increased the product’s elasticity, resistance to brittleness at colder temperatures, and greater flow resistance at hotter temperatures. The result is a membrane that combined the multi-layer benefits of built up roofs with the installation advantages of a single-ply membrane. This system offers an excellent cold weather flexibility, lightweight membrane (can be used as a recover), no aggregate surfacing (maintenance and repairs are easier to conduct), and high tensile strength.
Roofing Wood Shingles and Shakes:
Wood shingles and shakes are made from western red cedar. Shakes are heavier than shingles. They are split rather than sawn which gives them a rougher appearance than shingles.
New roofing cost
Replacing your existing roof carries a significant cost, and it can’t be put off once it becomes necessary. The urgency to install a new roof doesn’t mean hire the first roofing contractor you speak to. Here’s some insights into cost of replacing a roof.
How roofers charge
While it’s possible to replace your own roof, it’s not always a good idea – without the right tools and enough experience, there’s a high likelihood you’ll make a mistake, which could reduce the lifespan of your roof and the integrity of you home. Reliable roofing companies charge for their work using what are known as “squares.” One ten foot-by-ten foot patch of roof makes a square, meaning the average roof has between 22 and 26 squares to be replaced.Read More
1. Dryness. Your roof is sustaining damage from the sun’s rays. Heat and ultraviolet rays damage a roof more than imagined.
2. El Nino. Roofs should be prepared to sustain heavy rains. Having your roof inspected now, prevents emergency costs later.
3. Peace of Mind. Like having your car tuned up or your teeth checked, you always feel better when a professional takes a close look at your roof. A licensed roofing company can give you calcification about your concerns.Read More
Fixing a Leaking Roof
The most common roof leaks are from:
- Plumbing vent boots
- Roof vents
- Walls and dormers
- Small holes
While these roof leaks may produce small amounts of damage on the exterior, the leak may be causing more damage to the structure of the home. It’s important to have a consultation with a reliable roofing company before starting to repair your roof yourself. A roofing contractor can assess the leak and offer trustworthy feedback.
JBC Builders & Roofers is a reliable roofing contractor in Tampa FL with over 40+ years. JBC Builders & Roofers is a family operated business who stands behind their companies values, customer support and quality craftsmanship.